Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Nikon V1 - A little camera with big potential.

So last night I must have stayed up to almost midnight thinking about the Nikon V1.

Why?  Well, there are a few reasons.  For one, it's small, yet it has pretty good autofocusing capabilities.  While my NEX-5N is a great little camera with great IQ, sometimes I'm really let down by the focusing.  I love my Canon 5D, but sometimes the thing is just too darn big and conspicuous (especially with the 70-200 MK II on it).

This morning, I decided 'what the heck' and placed a V1 with a few lenses on order for rental.  I figure if I give myself 6 days to try it out, that will tell me if I really want to buy into the system or not.

So, what will I be getting this Tuesday (Valentine's day!)

1) Nikon V1 with the 10-30 kit lens.

2) The FT-1 adapter to use with a few F-mount lenses

3) Nikon 35mm f/1.8 DX (which will act like a ~95mm portrait lens on the V1)

4) Nikon 105mm f/2.8 VR (since this goes to 1:1 on full frame, it has the potential to act like a 2.7:1 on the V1)

5) The Nikon 70-300 VR - It's a slower lens (only f/5.6 at the long end), but it's lightweight, relatively inexpensive and has VR - this should make an interesting birding lens, since the lens will act like a 189mm-810mm lens on the VR1.

More to follow - this should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment